of Salvino Leone
born in Spadafora (ME) 3rd October 1954;
home address: via D'Annunzio 9, 90144 Palermo (Italy)
Ph. 091-6259680 (Home) Cell. 335-406363
firstname.lastname@example.org - www.salvinoleone.it
1978 Degree in Medicine and Surgery summa cum laude.
1983 Specialization in Obstetrics and Gynaecology summa cum laude and winner of Prize ”L. Candela".
1987 Pass certificate in Pathology with final mark of optimum.
2001 Doctorate in Theology summa cum laude at the Sicilian Faculty of Theology.
1979- 1988 In charge of "Emergency Medical Ward" at USL 61 of Palerm
1988 – 1992 Assistant at Obstetrics and Gynaecology Department of “Buccheri La Ferla – Fatebenefratelli” Hospital of Palermo.
1992 -2008 Chief of Medical Humanities Department of Roman Province of Hospitaller Order of St. John of God.
2008-2012 Doctor at outpatient surgery of Hospitaller Order Hospital in Palermo
1987 - 1994 Professor of Nursing Ethics at the Nursing School of Civic Hospital of Palermo.
1987 - 2002 Professor of Social Medicine at the LUMSA University of Rome-Palermo
1996 Professor of Bioethics at the Faculty of Medicine of Palermo
1998 - 2002 Professor of Bioethics at the specialization School of Neurology (University of Palermo).
2000 - 2011 Director of the Master in Bioethics of Sicilian Institute of Bioethics.
2000 2000 up today Professor of Moral Theology at the Sicilian Faculty of Theology .
3) Bioethical Tas
He has been:
President of Bioethics Committee of Sicily .
President of Bioethics Committee of ISMETT (Mediterranean Institute for human transplantations)
President of Bioethics Committee of "Oasi Maria SS." Onlus of Troina
Vice-president of Bioethics Committee of Hospitals of St. John of God’s Brothers
He is actually:
President of Bioethical Studies Institute “S. Privitera”, Palermo.
President og Bioethical Commitee “Palermo 1”
Member of Bioethical Commitee of Sicily
Member of International Bioethical Commitee of Hospitaller Order of St. John f God
4) Other Qualifications
1992 Co-founder and Co-director of Sicilian Institute of Bioethics and of its journal “Bioetica e cultura”.
1994 Participation to the writing up of the Charter of Health Care Workers edited by the Pontifical Council for Health Pastoral Care.
1995-1996 Participation to the Task Force of Pontifical Academy for Life to the writing up of the book Identity and Statute of human embryo.
1997-2000 Direction of the International Committee in the writing up of the Identity Charter of Hospitaller Order of St John of God.
2001-2011 Appointment, by the Pope John Paul II, as Counsellor of Pontifical Council for Health Pastoral Care.
2002 Winner of International Prize "John XXI" (premiation in Korea) for deontoloy and medical ethics
7) Foreign Languages
English and French: written and spoken fluently
Spanish and Portuguese: written understanding
German and Hebrew: notions
Latin and classic Greek: written understanding
6) Lectures in Congress
From 1979 up he hold more than 300 lectures at different Congress on Bioethics, medical humanities and pastoral health care, some of them abroad:
- Euthanasia: ethical and moral dilemma, Philipins Hearth Center (Manila, 2 December 1993).
- Bible, Ethics and mothers in distress, Convegno FEAMC (Praga 8 June 1996).
- Medicina e cultura frente a reprodução assistida, Etica da vida, vidalidade da etica (Porto, 5 February 1997).
- A dõenca terminal como problema bioetico, Etica da vida, vidalidade da etica (Porto, 7 February 1997).
- Bioética y ospidalidad para el terzero millennio, General Charter of Hospitaller Order (Granada, 9 November 2000).
- Bioethics and health care humanization (Beijng Children Hospital (12 Novembrer Bejing 2001).
- Dialogue between secular and Christian Ethics (Seoul, 6 September 2002).
- Etica e hospidalidade em Psiquiatria (Lisbona, 23 February 2003).
- Ethics and spirituality in drug abuse prevention (Strasburgo, 29 August 2005)
- New issues in Bioethics (Warsaw, 12 October 2005).
- Ethic of life in Occidental Countries (Teheran, 29 December 2006).
- Bioethishe Thanatologie (Tubinga, 19-23 November 2007).
- La familia del infermo como problem moral (Caracas, 19 June 2009).
- ¿Derecho a la muerte o derecho a la dignidad de la muerte? (Salamanca 9 October 2009)
- Issues on sexual transmiutted diseases (Vijawada, 15 January 2010 and 18 January 2011
- He wrote more than 400 papers on the above themes.
- He shared 12 collective works.
- He edited 6 collective works.
- He directed (with S. Privitera) the Dictionary of Bioethics,(150 authors, 350 entries) yet translated in Portuguese an in press the second Italian edition. For it he wrote also 24 entries.
- He wrote the following monographies (titles are here translated in English):
- The doctor and the couple (La Casa, Palermo 19924)
- The prevention of voluntary abortion (CAV, Palermo 1984)
- Fundamentals of geneticc, obstetrics and gynaecology (Flaccovio, Palermo 1995)
- Shape of Bioethics (Medical Books, Palermo 19872)
- Facing the life (CAV, Palermo 1990)
- “Li Bonfratelli” (FBF, Palermo 1990)
- Healing miracles in Gospel (Orizzonte Medico, Roma 1991)
- Over the pain (EdiOFTES, Palermo 1992)
- Facing the sick (Unitalsi, Palermo 1992)
- Ethics (McGraw-Hill, Milano 1993)
- Health care pastoral in Roman Catholic Magisterium (BIOS, Roma 1994)
- Spirituality and lay involvment in the Hospitaller Order (BIOS, Roma 1995)
- Eros and love (Bonomi, Milano 1996)
- Bioethics, faith and culture (Armando, Roma 1996)
- S. John the Great: genius and sanctity of an hospitaller reformer (Bi.Os., Roma 1996)
- The near-to-death sick (ed. San Paolo, Cinisello Balsamo 1996) translated in polish
- Medicine in front of miracle (Ed. Dehoniane, 1997)
- Ethics for health care facilities (Armando, Roma 1997)
- History of the Roman Province of Hospitaller Order, (3 voll., Bi.Os, Roma 1997-2002)
- Assisted Reproduction (San Paolo, Cinisello Balsamo 1998)
- A century of health! (Ajello, Palermo 1998)
- The choice of not live (San Paolo, Cinisello Balsamo 1999)
- The informed consent (Bi.Os, Roma 2000)
- Education to sexuality (Dehoniane, Bologna 2000) translating in portuguese
- Ministers of life (Ed. Camilliane, Torino 2000)
- Jubilate Deo! (Vita Ospedaliera, Roma 2000)
- Maxima debetur puero reverentia (ISB, Acireale 2002)
- Theological perspective in bioethics (ISB, Acireale 2003)
- Manual of bioethics (ISB, Acireale, 2003)
- The bravery of joining (ARIS, Roma 2003)
- Are we born to suffer? (Città Nuova, Roma 2007)
- Ethics of affective life (Dehoniane, Roma 2008)
- Suor Rosina La Grua (Compostampa, Palermo 2009)
- “Therapeutic rage”: care, therapy or just futility? (Cittadella, Assisi 2009)
- Stem cells: scientific aspects an ethical involvements (Cittadella, Assisi 2010)
- Bioethics in paediatrics (Tecniche Nuove, Roma 2012)
- Medical/patient relationship in Gynaecology (CIC, Roma 2015)
- The boundary and the horizon: representations of death (EDB, Bologna 2015)
- The illnes of the Saints (EDB, Bologna 2015)